Creating a form with multiple questions can be time consuming. In many cases, the form that you are creating already exists as a Word or Excel file, containing the questions text and ordering, formula, etc. To reduce time spent on recreating the forms our system allows you to import fields from an Excel template. This makes it fast and easy to get all relevant questions into your form.
Our template contains a number of columns, each one for a specific field property. This template contains a subset of the most commonly used properties in the form designer. As such, you will probably need to tweak some fields after importing them into the designer. A full listing of each available column/property and accepted values is provided within the template.
To import fields follow these steps:
1. Download the example Excel template. This is found in your form designer. Click on the 'IMPORT' button to launch the import fields.
Click 'Click here to download a template' link in the description text. Open the Excel file from your downloads, this will be in the required format.
2. Edit the template by adding in your desired fields. This often involves cutting and pasting the question text from your existing Word or Excel form. Be sure to set the field type for each question. Set relevant properties as needed by entering values into the designated columns.
- Do not leave empty rows between your field rows.
- Acceptable values are case-sensitive and must match exactly as specified.
- Do not change the order of columns, or add additional columns. The template format is fixed and you will experience errors if you alter the columns.
3. Save your template to your computer. Open up the form designer. Select your desired form, it should be in draft or test status. Click the 'IMPORT' button to launch the import fields. Click on the highlighted blue box below, and select your saved Excel file.
Upon successful upload the system will import and display your fields. If the upload is not successful you will receive an error message stating the problem.
Note: Your new fields will NOT be saved by the import process. This allows you to edit the fields in the designer before saving. Any mistakes or issues introduced by your import can be forgotten by simply browsing to another page in the website.