Data sources can be edited in 2 ways:
- Manually editing the columns/rows directly from the web platform
- By uploading a spreadsheet in either CSV or Excel format
Manually editing the columns/rows is the most straightforward method, however can only be used in data sources containing fewer than 50 columns, and fewer than 100 rows.
To manually edit, open the data source in the web platform by using the menu on the left side of the screen and selecting Connected Data > Data Sources. Navigate through the list, and when the desired data source is located, highlight and select Rows (which appears under the data source title).
Once the data source is opened, you will be able to Add Row, Add Column or even modify existing row/column data by simply clicking the appropriate text box and making changes.
Always ensure to SAVE your work when complete.
UPLOADING LARGER DATA SOURCES:
Many data sources will be locked from the manual editing option due to their size. This is to prevent accidental changes in larger inventory data sources that cannot be fully displayed in the web platform.
To begin the editing process on larger data sources, you must first export the file from the web platform.
Follow the on screen instructions to download the data source from the web platform.
The file will generally save (in .xlsx format) into the Downloads folder on your computer.
Once the download is complete, open the document in a spreadsheet program like Excel and perform any necessary edits. Save your edits using a name you will recognize as you will need to upload that same file back into the web platform.
From the appropriate data source screen in the web platform, click the Import button in the top right corner, and follow the on screen instructions to upload your edited spreadsheet.
The data source has now been successfully edited and uploaded back to the web platform. Always ensure to Save your work when complete.
If you upload a CSV file, make sure that the file has the first row of your CSV file is a header row containing your column names.
EDITING DATA SOURCE SETTINGS:
Data Sources have some detailed configuration options that can be changed to suit your requirements. This is accessible by clicking Settings, located under the title of your data source in the top left corner of the web platform screen.
From the settings page, you can change the following:
- Name: the main title of the data source
- External ID: useful for programmatically referencing that data source, must not contain any spaces or special symbols - other than an underscore)
- Default Sort Order: row data will automatically sort alphabetically based on the selected column, but it can be changed or turned off completely here.
- Default Row Display: indicates how row data will appear in a form's list choice field
- Default User Interaction: customized interactions can be assigned when a user selects a particular row.
- Add Connector: additional actions can be attached to this data source that pull information from several external sources, updating regularly.
Save work when edits are complete.
EDITING COLUMN SETTINGS:
Rules can be set for each column as well. This is useful if there are conditions that you may wish to display differently. For example, in a sign inventory, if you would like to see all signs with a rating of "Good" as green, "Fair" as yellow, or "Poor" as red, you would set those rules in the settings for the "Overall Condition" column.
Note: column and data source settings can be edited without needing to export larger data sources.
Every row in your Data Source must meet two key requirements:
- The first column must contain unique values since this will be used as the key/identifier for the row.
- The second column must contain a value and will default to being the displayable label text for each row.
Editing a data source is a highly significant activity as it will modify the way any screen attached to it behaves. Always edit with caution, double check that edits are necessary, and save your work regularly.
Deleting a data source (available from the data source Settings page) is only possible when the data source is not yet connected to any screens. As is the case with editing, ensure you do not delete data before make confirmation that it is necessary.